Friday, June 20, 2014

I want to report a bank crime. Who has jurisdiction in this case?

I recently noticed an unauthorized withdrawal from my checking account. It was to a mortgage company in another state, and after a lot of phone calls to the mortgage company and the bank, plus signing a form that says I didn't authorize the transfer, I got my money back; the mortgage company agreed to flag the guy's account in case he tried it again.
This month the same guy accessed my account again, but transferred money to a different company (to pay a different bill). More phone calls and signed papers got my money back again, and I'm closing the account so he can't steal from me a third time.
I want to press charges, but my question is how? I live in one state, the man who did this lives in another (the same state where my bank is headquartered). When it comes to electronic money transfers, where did the crime take place?
Should I go to my local police? Or contact the police where he lives?
(I tried the FBI, thinking that it involved a crime across state lines, but they said that they would just collect information to help them look for crime trends, not to prosecute.)

Read more: I want to report a bank crime. Who has jurisdiction in this case?