Thursday, June 26, 2014

Should I become a police officer or an engineer?

I've wanted to be a policeman since I was a little kid and I am now 20 years old. The problem is, over the years, everyone keeps telling me things like "you can do better than that" or "have fun being poor for the rest of your life".

I am currently studying a science degree at the top university in my country and my parents want me to do engineering because they think I will make more money and have more opportunities in life. Even my friends and teachers think I would make a good engineer because I am very good at maths and physics.

And then everyone tells me about how expensive house prices are and saying that I won't be able to afford to pay my mortgage if I work as a police officer.

Although I really want to be a policeman, I am worried about all the things people have been telling me in relation to how low the salary is.

Will I be so poor that life will be miserable? Should I follow my childhood dream of becoming a police officer, or do a postgraduate degree in mechanical engineering so that I can live a stable life?
Added (1). @JustMe - Thanks for your encouragement! A Bachelor's degree only takes 3 years in my country, so I intend to finish that before I apply for the police.

Read more: Should I become a police officer or an engineer?