Monday, July 21, 2014

Ex husband accrued tax lien after the divorce and his name is still on the deed?

I recently received a notification in the mail from the IRS stating that my ex neglected to file/pay taxes in 2012. He owes $57,000 with penalties. He is self employed.

I was awarded sole ownership of the marital home in the divorce that was finalized in 2010. I was not required to refinance in my name alone so his name is still on the mortgage.

If he continues to ignore the IRS as I suspect he will, will the IRS be able to place a lien against my house? I'm definitely looking into refinancing, but not sure I will be able to (my credit rating was badly damaged during the marriage)

Thank you in advance for any thoughts, input, or opinions.

Read more: Ex husband accrued tax lien after the divorce and his name is still on the deed?