Sunday, July 20, 2014

How is net proceeds distributed from a joint ownership property?

Hi everyone, I had been with my ex parter for 7 years when we decided to purchase our first property together last November.

She had recently received some inheritance money from her granddad which she used to pay for the deposit of the house (nearly £70k. As she only worked part time and I had a stable full time job. We entered into the mortgage as joint owners.

We then moved into our new home, took out a couple of loans to furnish and do up the house, and now she has decided to leave as she has met someone else.

I now have a suspicion that she is speaking to a solicitor to try and get all of her deposit money back, leaving me with debt, two jointly owned dogs that she now doesn't want to deal with and no where to live.

Where do I stand with this? As I feel as though I should be entitled to 50% of the proceeds of the house as I have supported her for 4 years in our previous rental properties whilst she was still working part time etc

Can she dispute this if she can prove she paid the deposit? Can I claim 50% automatically?

Help!

Read more: How is net proceeds distributed from a joint ownership property?