Saturday, July 19, 2014

Stop paying joing Mortgage and move abroad?

What would happen? I have a mortgage in UK with my stbx. She is playing a very very difficult game during our divorce and I just can't take anymore. No agreements are in place and I pay the mortgage month in month out whilst she lives there (London mortgage so is a lot).

Its reached a point where I couldnt care about the equity anymore.

I want to move abroad (Canada or Australia). Credit report is NOT part of the application to move to Canada, so does that mean I could just go to Canada and stop paying my mortgage here?

They would chase my stbx I assume since they can't find me. If she doesn't pay I assume house will get repossessed. If she does pay then great (house will still have my name on it).

Stupid idea and not ideal I know, but as a last get out and escape, its possible isn't it? Its not crimincal is it? I will tell my stbx of course, and just say, you live there, i've paid since we bought the house last year, so now you pay or lose it.

Does repossession result in bankruptcy? There is a lot more equity than mortgage so even with fines and forced selling we should not owe anything. So does this just damage credit report or is it a blackmark?

Read more: Stop paying joing Mortgage and move abroad?