Wednesday, November 26, 2014

I moved away from my hometown for university and now there is problems back home?

So my step-dad has a trial soon over a serious accusation. I honestly don't think he should even be going to trial in the first place however it's happening. The crime he is being accused of can lead to prison time and it is at a sheriff court so the max time is 5 years.

I decided to move away from my hometown for university last year and I couldn't wait to leave, and my life is much better at university. The problem lies in that I have 2 younger half-brothers (3 & 8), who mean so much to me, and their is a possibility their dad could go to prison. On top of this my mum is by far the inferior earner financially and she will be left with a mortgage and bills to pay by herself. I have a part time job and loan, so I am of no expense to her.

Life was so good, and then since being told this I feel like its being pulled away from me. At school, or even just back home I was shy and had no confidence but here I had the chance to reinvent myself and stop trying to impress others and I took it. I have great ambitions and I genuinely feel like I can be successful in my field. I notice improvements in myself constantly and that progress just wasn't happening back home where I felt trapped by the negative atmosphere that emanates from impoverished areas - I almost felt stupid for having the ambition that I did, to the extent that I would hide it. I just don't know what to do in this situation, what would you do?

Although this situation isn't definite, it's a woeful possibility.
Added (1). b/c of my part time job, I can only go home 10 days over xmas (which I'm also worried will be ruined), so it's hard for me to be there for my mum and brothers. My dad left home when I was a kid and although I still saw him, I feel it has caused some insecurities, and I remember at the time I thought he hated me and it was my fault. His leaving left me with trust issues - as a kid I always thought I would be abandoned.

I apologise for the lack of structure I'm just letting my thoughts out.
Added (2). The character limit makes it hard for me to explain everything but I guess a TL;DR would be:

Family could be torn apart, my brothers who I love may grow up without a father, I'm at uni across the country, I enjoy life here, hate it back home although I love my family & friends, and I just don't know what to do.

Read more: I moved away from my hometown for university and now there is problems back home?