Friday, February 13, 2015

Will getting a credit card boost my chances of getting a mortgage?

Hi,

I am a single 35 year old female. I have taken out credit in the past as follows:

2 x laptop loans with Curry's paid back on time, never defaulted and cleared one of them about a year early.

1 x £2,000 loan paid back over 3 years, paid on time never defaulted.

1 £1,000 loan taken out for a holiday, cleared it in full within about 4 months as I unexpectedly came into a small sum of money.

I went to the bank today to get advice about getting a mortgage in about 12 months time as I am saving hard for a deposit. The Adviser said to me it would be better to get a credit card because it would boost my credit score.

I am not really a fan of credit cards to be honest, and I want to know if she is right. I feel that I have a good credit history and just want to know if getting a credit card really will boost my credibility or not?

Any opinions welcome…

Read more: Will getting a credit card boost my chances of getting a mortgage?