Thursday, May 28, 2015

Do People Overestimate the Social Value of School?


I have heard a lot from people saying "when I was at school, I never learnt how to do my taxes, or apply for a mortgage or bank. But thank the Lord I can tell you all about the Pythagorean Theorem".

I mean what? What do you expect schools to do for you, are there no other sources of information? I remember when I was at school, my English teacher told me that the most important lessons you learn in school are the social lessons, and luckily my school went quite far in the education of social issues such as Domestic Violence, Road Safety and Sexual Health, but looking back on it after leaving school, do you think people see school as too much of a social education platform rather than an academic platform?

Read more: Do People Overestimate the Social Value of School?