Saturday, June 27, 2015

Want to pay an old judgment but can't find the plaintiff?


We are in the process of applying for a mortgage loan. We have an outstanding judgment from 5 years ago. I know what it is from. For two years, I have been trying to contact the landlord to make arrangements to pay off the judgment. I sent certified letters, but the receipt never returned. I recently discovered she sold the rental home this year.

When we rented the home the plaintiff used a property management company. So, I am not sure if she is aware there is a judgment as they filed on her behalf. I contacted them and was informed they did not recall the judgment and they could not accept the payment or file a satisfaction of the judgment on her behalf because she is no longer their client.

We cannot get a mortgage loan until the judgment is paid off and I attempted to locate the plaintiff to arrange for the satisfaction of the judgment. Unfortunately I have no way to get in touch with her. I went to the court and the only information they have is the plaintiff name and the property management address. So no help there. And court said they couldn't take a payment on behalf of the plaintiff.

I really need to get this resolved so we can finalize our mortgage. I am completely loss as to what to do. How do you pay off a judgment when you can’t find someone?

Read more: Want to pay an old judgment but can't find the plaintiff?