Monday, July 27, 2015

Take cheaper home or superior one with a partial mortgage?


Hey guys here is my scenario. So I am fortunate because my father purchases starter homes for my siblings and I. I am the youngest of three boys. So 4 years ago before I started college my father purchased both of my brothers their first homes for $100k. Now that I am back my father has decided to bless me with a starter home for which I am grateful. However real estate prices have shot up and we cannot get the same exact home as my brothers. The one we can get is for $130k so my father is proposing that he pays $100k on that home and have me take on the $30k as a mortgage for 25 years. The thing is my annual salary is $20k (I work with my father) so I would not be able to save any of my money when other bills come into play. My father states that I am getting a superior home so this makes it "fair" but my view is that I am having a mortgage while my brothers did not so it just makes it unfair to me. What are your thoughts on this?

Read more: Take cheaper home or superior one with a partial mortgage?