Monday, September 21, 2015

If the landlord hasn t been paying the mortgage, can I get out of my lease early?


I am renting a home in Michigan and the landlord has not been paying on the mortgage. On top of that I was denied renters insurance from the insurance company because of repairs that need to be made that the landlord will not make.

Now, I ve been receiving notices pinned to my door that the house is in foreclosure and will be sold 3 weeks from today. My lease isn t up until April 2016 but I am in a situation where the house has enough problems that I can t use hot water in the sink or even be in the house because of mold they keep denying.

Do I have any legal rights to get out of this lease?

Read more: If the landlord hasn t been paying the mortgage, can I get out of my lease early?