Saturday, September 26, 2015

Married Men: Would you be ashamed of being married to a frugal/practical woman, that LOVES to coupon?


I've been very happily married for over 14 years, and we have 6 awesome kids (3 bio & 3 adopted). I am very frugal, very practical, and sometimes a cheapskate. For the last 13 years, I have been an extreme couponer. This helped us especially when our 12 year old g/g/b triplets were newborn.

I often shop at Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Kohls, Big Lots, Dollar Tree, Aldi's, Shaw's and other lower end stores to get the best bargains possible. I can get a months worth of groceries, supplies, and other things for less than $200.00 (which includes meat), and I shop weekly for fresh fruit and vegetables. This is because I'm an extreme couponer.

My husband showed our stockpile to a friend of his, and his friend was shocked. His friend said that he would be embarrassed to have a wife, that "hoarded" everything that we have. When my husband told him how much I spent on everything, than his friend did change his tune a bit. My husband is happy to be married to a very frugal and very practical person.

Would you be ashamed to be married to a woman like me?
Added (1). I should also mention that I donate about 40% of my free purchases to my local homeless veterans organization. I'm a 20 vet of the USN, and I know what it feels like to not have enough to eat. I like giving back to those who don't have the resources that we have. It feels good to know that I'm making a difference in the lives of homeless vets.
Added (2). @ Anonymous, I work full-time as a Registered Dietitian. I retired from the military in 2009, and I'm a 70% disabled vet.
Added (3). @ Robert, I also plan all of the meals, do all of the grocery shopping (with some help from my family), and I pay all of the bills. The only "real" debt that we have is our mortgage. Everything else that we own (material wise) is our 100% free & clear.

Read more: Married Men: Would you be ashamed of being married to a frugal/practical woman, that LOVES to coupon?