Friday, November 20, 2015

What bank is better for my mortgage?


I bought an apartment for $200 000. I have to pay 15 percent of its value in cash. So I will take a loan for the remaining 85 percent, which is around $170 000. I've been around to two different banks and checked how much it will cost me.

Bank 1:
Everything is clumped up into one first mortgage loan with an interest of 1,7 percent. The interest will cost me $240. The installment will cost me $330/month. The fee for the apartment is $280/month so everything in total will be $850/month.

Bank 2:
This bank has another system. They separate the 85 percent of the loan in two parts. One first mortgage loan consisting of 75 percent and one top up loan consisting of 10 percent. The first mortgage loan has an interest of 2 percent, meaning a cost of $250/month. The top up loan has interest of 2,5 percent meaning a cost of $31/month. The installment for the top up loan is $170/month. They have no required installment for the mortgage loan. The fee for the apartment is still $280. So the total cost of everything is $731/month.

One is cheaper/month but the other one has a more aggressive installment plan that is maybe better in the long run.
What do you think?

Read more: What bank is better for my mortgage?