Tuesday, November 17, 2015

What to do about our old house (please no judgement)?


We are renting where we live, but we still own our old property which is costing us mortgage etc, which is bad because we manage month to month and should put the money into more important things. But the situation is complicated. We *should* sell, but:

My father is the breadwinner, can't afford much time to take off from work to deal with the house, concerned that his business will be hurt. The house itself has a lot of our old belongings that we don't want to throw away. The house also needs repairs, including to keep out rodents. Because of the general situation, my father says it's too dirty there and does not want anyone else from the family going there to clean up.

I've suggested getting someone to make repairs to keep out rodents but I think he says it's too messy to bring them in. I've suggested getting cleaning crews, but I believe he thinks they'll throw out important things or need supervision when he doesn't have time to be there or that they could reveal and embarassing mess to the neighborhood while they work. I've suggested getting a realtor to take over the situation to manage things, but again too messy or not enough time to explain the things he wants or something.

We have this situation that needs to be addressed. I know he means well but I can't convince him, it seems, to address it or that it won't risk our immediate or long term finances.

Advise? How should this kind of thing be dealt with, without risking a lot of time? Realto?
Added (1). To clarify something, I don't think the house generally has rodents, but they have gotten in in the past, and they've also been caught in rat traps. And my father also has oblications other than business that he doesn't want to sacrifice. He does a lot and it's not an issue of lazy, more like overwhelmed and afraid to rock the boat, so I need good suggestions.

Read more: What to do about our old house (please no judgement)?