Monday, January 25, 2016

What to do about a future money issue bound to cause an argument between my wife and I?


After we were married my wife told me that she wanted to keep her money separate from mine. My wife makes significantly more money than I do, has more money in her savings and will have much more money in her retirement than I will when I retire. When we went house shopping I wanted something we could both afford but she wanted a more expensive home and said she would pay the difference. A year later she asked me for half the mortgage. I told her we needed to sell the house because I couldn't afford it. When I offered to pay what I could toward the mortgage and pay all of the household bills she agreed. So now I live check to check while her savings grows and she spends money on whatever she wants whenever she wants. I could care less what she spends her money on but it is difficult for me because she frequently throws in my face the fact that she pays more toward the house than I do. She makes disparaging comments about my career choices and will even go so far as to insult my masculinity because she "provides for me". I can't stand it and really hate her for it sometime. Anyway… I am 10 years older than she is so its safe to assume that my parents will pass before hers leaving me with $ from their will. Should I use the $ toward the mortgage or use it for myself? I know if the shoe was on the other foot that she would keep hers for herself (that's just the way it is with her). Oh and by the way her parents have more money than mine so she'll be even more financially secure

Read more: What to do about a future money issue bound to cause an argument between my wife and I?