Saturday, March 19, 2016

Is it reasonable that I ask my husband to quit his job?


My husband and I have been married for 4 years, and have been together for 10 years.

We have a really good relationship, but his job really stresses him out.

This particular job… He's wanted his whole life, and isn't particularly skilled in anything else. He has a liberal arts degree, but this job is very specific, the skills aren't exactly transferable to many positions.

Anyway, it stresses him out a lot. Today I was looking through our texts, and so much of them are about how he's stressed, or hopes to talk because he's stressed, or bitching about an employer.

Basically, it's just really clicked how stressful his job is on our relationship. I thought it would get better with time, but this feels like our life now instead of just a phase he needs to cope with.

I make enough to support the two of us and pay our mortgage, but we would definitely have to cut back on our expenses if he were to quit.

What's the best way to approach this? He defines himself by his job, but I don't want to live my life supporting someone's emotional struggles every single day. I get it if it's once in a while, I get it, that's what having a spouse is for. But I don't want to live my life with him being perpetually stressed with no sign of getting better. He and I were much happier before he had this job.

Read more: Is it reasonable that I ask my husband to quit his job?