Wednesday, February 22, 2017

How to get a lower down payment on a commercial mortgage? - 1


My new business needs a building, but commercial mortgage down payments are impossibly high. What can I do?

More details:
I have a day job that I intend to keep, and I make more than enough to afford the building. (About 70 percent of the building's total cost annually) I'm willing to purchase it under my name, rather than my company's if need be. The current building owner has no interest in a lease to own, or rent setup. The building is under $95,000 and I've got $20,000 to put down. Trouble is, the building will need at least $20,000 to be brought up to code. What few banks are willing to loan to me are demanding 30 percent down. ($28,500 minimum down payment in my case) I don't currently own other real estate or property to use as equity.

If I was buying a house, I could easily get around 5 percent down, and have a dozen or so banks to choose from. Because this property is commercially zoned almost no banks will loan and those that do ask an outrageously high amount down. Are there any options for a commercial property loan that don't require quite so much down?

Read more: How to get a lower down payment on a commercial mortgage? - 1