Monday, March 27, 2017

Is this old Gold Mortgage Bond worth anything? Who would pay? Where do I start looking?

I found some papers for a collateral trust gold mortgage bond from a "discount company" in Akron, Ohio while going through my grandmother's old things. The thing looks legit. It's got a seal stamped into it and everything. It originally had 10 coupons for interest, and promised a payment of $100 after 10 years. Only 3 of the coupons are missing, the other 7 don't seem to have ever been claimed. It got me wondering if there's a payout that's been collecting dust for decades. Searching for the company only gives me old newspaper clippings. It would be great if someone could point me in the right direction to begin investigating this properly.

Read more: Is this old Gold Mortgage Bond worth anything? Who would pay? Where do I start looking?