Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Is there a way to get some of our money back?

How can I get some money back? My father passed away in 2012. Ultimately she could not afford to stay in the house alone. My sister and I helped her get her home rented out so she would have a monthly income. This arrangement worked for a while but my mother became increasingly home sick. Fast forward three tenants later and they have heavily damaged the home. We decided to sell our home, and use the funds from this to refurbish my mother's home. We moved back in and the three of us were very happy for a while. My mother met up with an old flame from high school and got remarried. We tried to make it work but obviously 2 couples living in 1100 square feet is not ideal. We are currently renting and need to find a way to try and get some of the money we invested out of the home but neither my spouse or myself have good credit. My mother has no income and her spouse is on disability. They have no credit either. The only thing we have is the house which is mortgage free and debt free. My mother wants to try and help us so we can recoup the money we put in the house. My spouse and I both have credit scores in the mid 500's and we are literally stuck. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

The home in question is currently appraised at $33,000.00 My spouse and I sold our home for $20000.00 and put around $17000.00 into repairing and upgrading the home we all lived in together.

The reason these property values are as low as they are is because we are in Texas.

Read more: Is there a way to get some of our money back?