Thursday, July 27, 2017

When you get a property mortgage, does the bank/mortgage holder keep the deed?

When you get a property mortgage, does the bank/mortgage holder keep the deed? - 1
Added (1). And if the mortgage company is bought out by another bank, is the deed held by the new bank? And finally, in order to obtain a certified copy of your deed, which county office do you go to? Auditor, treasurer, clerk of courts?
Added (2). The reason I'm asking is that a person owning property near me says that they have a utility easement through my basement and it is recorded on the deed. Their sewer and water lines (including the "shut off") do run through my basement. I never saw a deed and what was on it when I bought the property. Was told to get a certified copy to see if easement is really there!

Read more: When you get a property mortgage, does the bank/mortgage holder keep the deed?