Wednesday, September 6, 2017

What would you do in this career changing situation?

I have worked for this company of mine for 11 years on and off. Last year in 2016, I finished up as a contractor for my company in March 2016. The next thing is I collected unemployment until Aug. 2016. I ended up substitute teaching making very little money, and getting hired at the end of the year as an employee for the same company I'm at now.

I just finished all my classes in 2017 for the teaching certification accept All I have left is demonstration teaching for 3 months where I can't work because I'm teaching 40 hrs a week plus I have a child to take care of in the evening. I'm 42 years old, I really want to finish this degree, and I currently work in a new job for the last 6 months where the manager has been a total micromanager and the job is stressful because of the attitudes I'm dealing with. This has got to be the worst job I've had at this company in the last 11 years.

My estimated time for "demonstration teaching" for my MA in Social Studies teaching is for Spring 2018. I have about $20K saved at this time and hopefully I can do it but then again I won't have a job when I get out. I do have a mortgage, and have to take care of a child.

I wonder if there's a the possibility to ask a workplace for leave with no pay for 3 months and use the 5 weeks' vacation that I have. But then it might be up to the supervisor at this point which could post a problem because he is a jerk, and might not allow it and I might have to quit.

Read more: What would you do in this career changing situation?