Sunday, January 21, 2018

How do I legally evict my cousin who is renting a room/bathroom in my home? We have no written contract. What are my timeframes?

I purchased a 2 bed/2.5 bath condo in California 2 years ago. My mortgage is $2200 utilities/HOA $600 a month.

I allowed my 28 year old cousin to live with me for $500/month, without paying utilities (she s going to school and I wanted to help). She said she d pay more when she finished school. Well it's been two years and since she s decided to continue school for another 2+ years. I asked her to pay me more $750/month. We had an argument over this and now I want her out of my house.

Please help me with Legal advice for California law. I'm going to try and evict her tomorrow by verbal means but if she refuses, I d like to know my next step.

Also, I already know it was stupid of me to not have a written agreement. You just never expect family to use you, but I was naive.

Thanks!

Read more: How do I legally evict my cousin who is renting a room/bathroom in my home? We have no written contract. What are my timeframes?