Tuesday, February 13, 2018

My parents are angry at me but don't see that they did anything wrong. What do I do?

My partner and I are currently saving hard for our first home. My parents came to me and said they have been saving some money for me since I was a baby and want to help us out a bit with the deposit. It was such a wonderful surprise and gift because we've been working so hard for this.
I guess I should have known that things were too good to be true. I booked an appointment with RAMS mortgage broker and my parents insisted on sitting in on the meeting. My parents are very secretive people and anything to do with their financial situation, I can't know. I can't know anything but they said they "need" to sit in on our meeting. I got annoyed at that and told them before the meeting that I wasn't comfortable with this because what money my partner and I have is none of their business and they said "well if you don't want the money, I guess we'll just keep it." They used the money as blackmail. I was furious but I let them in on the meeting because I really do need the money.
Since that day, I've been so annoyed about what they said and did. Now they know everything to do with my partner and my finances. I'm 22 and my partner is 23 so we're not kids anymore.
My parents know why I'm upset and angry but I'm apparently a 'spoilt brat'. I haven't been yelling at them or anything, I have been keeping to myself. My mum is acting like I don't exist when I try to speak to her.

What do I do? Am I in the wrong?

Read more: https://allmortgage.net/forum/my-parents-are-angry-at-me-but-don-t-see-that-they-did.html