Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Parents are upset I'm buying a house 30 minutes away?

My fiancé and I are getting married in August 2019 and have started to look for our first home together (currently, we both live at home with our parents).

Ideally, we both want to stay in our current neighbourhood, but the area we re in is very trendy and well-developed, and the reality is that we just can't afford a house nearby (the rough average of a semi-detached is around $800 K).

Because of the sky-high prices, we ve started looking in other areas that are within driving distance. We found a growing community we both really like, where the average price of a semi-detached is around $550k. It's only a 30 minute drive from where both our families live, and while my fiancé s family understands the need for the move due to budget restrictions, my parents have taken to calling me "stupid" and "irresponsible" for even considering moving outside our area.

I've tried telling them that we have to do what's best for us because it's our names on the mortgage, but they re furious because moving 30 minutes away will mean that any future children we have will be enrolled in a daycare, and "why would we want a random person watching our kids" when my mother is home to do it.

I get that they want to be near their grandkids when they eventually arrive, but repeatedly yelling at me and calling me stupid is really wearing me down. I feel stressed out and defeated, and I know it's starting to wear on my fiancé too.

Help on what to do?

Read more: https://allmortgage.net/forum/parents-are-upset-i-m-buying-a-house-30-minutes-away.html