Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Sell my house as an investment property or primary residence?

Based on when I set the closing date, I can sell my house as an investment property (rental) OR a primary residence. Which makes more sense financially? Here are the stats: I purchased for $156K in 2009, put $35K in improvements into it and have rented it out the last year for same rent as mortgage. Only able to sell it for $172K, Yes, it hasn't appreciated in almost 10 years AND I'm loosing $20k in renovation expense. How to capitol gains and $ loss factor in to whether I sell as primary residence or investment property? I can still sell as primary residence since IRS rule says you should have lived in the house as residence at least 2 out of last 5 years.

Read more: Sell my house as an investment property or primary residence?