Thursday, June 14, 2018

Is it wrong to ask this of my sister?

My father passed away several years ago and according to his will, his girlfriend was allowed to continue to live in the house until it was sold or she moved out. The house technically belongs to me and my sisters since he passed away. One of my sisters and her boyfriend want to purchase the house now. Also in my fathers will his girlfriend was to get $60,000 from the sale of the house and his four children would split the rest. My sister and her boyfriend came up with a plan to give my father's girlfriend her money after my sisters boyfriend sells his house. From that point my sister and her boyfriend would live in a house and they would put $3000 away into an escrow account every month. At the end of four years there would be enough money to pay off the other three siblings. Is it wrong to not feel comfortable doing this because my father's girlfriend is getting her money right up front and we have to wait four years? She claims it is going to be sort of a rent to own situation and a lawyer will draw up a contract. She says there's no way we won't get our money even if they decide to break up. We would just sell the house and get our money that way. Is it wrong to ask my sister to maybe take out a loan or a mortgage so all of us can get paid off immediately?

Read more: Is it wrong to ask this of my sister?