Thursday, June 28, 2018

What will happen to my mom's home/mortgage when my dad dies?

My dad is terminally ill and has a few months left to live. My mom is trying to get things in order. He does not have a will. She thought her name was on the mortgage, but the mortgage company told her that when the original lender merged with another bank her name was removed from the mortgage. Odd, right? Her name is on the land they purchased first and that is paid off. They had a prefab home put on the property. What is going to happen to the house when he dies? Not sure she will be able to afford the mortgage and keep up the home when he's gone. She might have to sell eventually.

P.S. She has zero extra income for an attorney, so talking to one is completely out. I'm also financially strapped and can't help her. No other siblings or relatives to help.

Read more: What will happen to my mom's home/mortgage when my dad dies?