Wednesday, July 11, 2018

How do I go about going back to college as a 27yro adult with full time job, mortgage, college credits, and over 30k student loan debt?

After 5 years of being out of school and working "the real world" I've decided it is important I get a college degree. I've always been great at math (AP classes through out high school and straight A's) so I've decided to major in biomedical engineering. I've done extensive research and believe it will be a great degree well suited for me. In college I was studying communication studies and completed 2.5 years but dropped out (was offered a management position at the restaurant I worked at in a different state) I was attending a great university so I do regret my decision but reality is that even if I had finished the major I was studying I'd most likely end up returning to school for something with higher security and better salary. I have a 30k debt in student loans which I'm slowly paying off. I'm a full time employed cocktail waitress under a union job so I have good pay, great tips, and great benefits but I want more out of myself and out of life. I can tolerate my job but know I will hate myself if I allow myself to settle.

I don't know whether to enroll in the state university here or to go to community college and take all prerequisites here(to save as much money as possible since I'm already in debt). I'm also thinking I should start with one class and slowly increase the load. Then transfer to a university and finish my degree in biomedical engineering.

Any advice on how to go about all of this or any better ideas of what I should do?

God bless!

Read more: https://allmortgage.net/forum/how-do-i-go-about-going-back-to-college-as-a-27yro.html