Saturday, July 28, 2018

Joint account vs Joint Ownership?

I'm confused about something on my husband's credit report. We're refinancing our house because we were young when we bought it and had my parents co-sign for us. On our credit scores under our mortgage it says "joint account". My parents are on the mortgage and are on the title. (We're refinancing to get them off. )
When my husband was in his very early 20s, he got a friend to cosign a motorcycle for him. The loan was on a credit card since it was under $10,000. He says the man cosigned and was NOT on the title, and he cosigned to help him because he had no credit at the time. On his credit, it shows "joint account" for that account, too.
Does that mean this man WAS on the title or registration? Or could he have just cosigned and NOT been on the title or the registration of the car?
Before people say "who cares" I'm asking because we're curious. My husband doesn't recall, since this was literally 15 years ago, but he says he is almost positive the guy was just a co-signer, NOT a co-borrower. But I'm confused because of the credit reports.
Do credit reports show ownership? Or is it merely say "joint" whether you are a co-signer, co-borrower, or whatever?

Read more: Joint account vs Joint Ownership?