Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Why is there such a stigma against getting help from one's parents into adulthood?

I come from a wealthy family, I went to private schools all my life, including college. My parents paid the tuition, and I never had to take a job during school. During summers, I studied abroad twice, and took an internship my summer between jr. And sr. Year.

I got a job that paid $35k per year, but I wanted to live in San Francisco proper… So my parents paid for my apartment, which I shared with another young professional. My parents also paid for me to travel at least 2 major trips per year.

Now, I'm in my early 30s, and 2 years ago, my parents bought a 3BR condo in Chicago, where I live now. My parents made the down payment and part of the mortgage. I pay the condo fees and the other part of the mortgage. I make $60k per year, which is pretty good, but not lucrative. I depend on my parents a lot less than I used to. Other than housing, I'm still on my parents' phone plan, and my parents still pay for my travels.

I know that I CAN live off $60k per year on my own, but why should I have to do so if my parents are OK giving me money? It doesn't affect anyone else, and I never brag about it to others.

So why the stigma? It's not like I'm mooching off the government or anything. This is strictly between my parents and myself.
Added (1). David B. How does it affect others if my parents have taken care of me? Again, it's not like I don't work or mooch off the government unnecessarily. I work a full time job, and I neither need nor take government assistance. That "sooner or later" you're talking about entails when my parents pass away. Then I get their inheritance.

Read more: Why is there such a stigma against getting help from one's parents into adulthood?