Sunday, April 20, 2014

Old Horse, when is enough enough?


I have an TB ex racer who,is at least 30 years old. I have just got him through winter, luckily it has been unusually mild this year with only a few frosts and no snow. I'm thinking ahead and if I should put him through another winter. He can't eat hay so lives off bucket feeds (no teeth can't chew) , is arthritic, has cushings (on daily meds), has a steadily growing sarcoid on his sheath and also suffers with rug sores on his now pronounced withers. He's condition at the minute after winter is not great, but he's now turned out for the summer and seems to be perking up with the spring grass. He seems happy in himself but getting him through this winter has cost me more each month than my mortgage not to mention the exhaustion of working full time and having to go to the yard each morning and evening. I owe this horse everything, do I prepare myself that this will be his last summer or do I try and get him through another winter? I do not want this horse to suffer. Any advice? I need to able to sleep at night after making a decision… Anyone been in a similar position? Thanks all x

Read more: Old Horse, when is enough enough?