Friday, April 25, 2014

Purchasing a house and need financial advice?


Hi everyone! Okay, so my fiance and I are looking at buying a house. He absolutely refuses to rent, and we currently live with his parents. We're both engineers and have well-paying jobs, but we also have three cars to pay off (I tried to convince him about selling one, that's a no-go, lol). I work a full-time job and a part-time job, and he works a full-time job. Both jobs are secured and our companies are very happy with us, so unless they shut down, I don't foresee us being out of work. Both companies have been around for 50+ years.

My dad died when I was a kid and left me an inheritance. I can put a 20% down payment on the house for the price range we're looking in. However, my family is advising me against this at all costs. The 20% would still leave me with a good cushion in the bank. We do have money saved separately, but I personally am trying to pay off the cars as fast as possible, instead of stuffing it into savings.

Do you think it's reasonable to tap into this money to put the deposit down? Should I use it and pay off a car, and put 10% down? If I do under 20%, we have to pay private mortgage insurance until the payments reach 20%.

I've also tried to convince him to rent an apartment for a year and pay off a car (we can pay off a car a year if we did this), but he's absolutely opposed to renting. "You pay for something and don't get anything out of it" (besides privacy, IMO).

Thank you very much for your advice, I really appreciate it!

Read more: Purchasing a house and need financial advice?