Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Trying to get a house, but my fiance just got laid off?

My fiance and I have been trying to buy a house for a while now, but we hit some speed bumps along the way so it's taken a little longer than we anticipated. My credit score is excellent, but his wasn't so great because he had to pay off some collections and get his credit card balance down. Our goal from day one has been to be in a house by August 1st because we're having a baby due August 14th.

We were finally able to get his credit score to where it needed to be, get all of the paperwork to our mortgage lender, get pre-approved and begin looking for houses with our realtor. We even found one we loved and were going to make an offer on it. We decided to go to the beach first and when we got home we were going to begin the process. Well, while we were at the beach my fiance got the call saying he'd been laid off. He did, however, have a backup plan so he IS working, but it's less money than he was making… A good bit less.

This has all been so stressful that I didn't think it could become even more so. I know that what we were pre-approved for ($145,000) will obviously change, I'm just not sure how much. The house we fell in love with was going for $139,000 and I'm honestly not sure if we should still put an offer in for that one, or if we need to start all over again. The problem with starting over is that we really wanted to be in something by August 1st and I'm not sure if that would possible anymore.

I really don't want to settle for a house I don't love…

Advice?

Read more: Trying to get a house, but my fiance just got laid off?