Thursday, July 31, 2014

What happens if a cop pulls into my driveway when smoking weed on the balcony?

Hello all, I'm 18, live in Illinois (DuPage) and I was smoking weed with a friend of mine outside my balcony on the second floor. We live in a condo and basically our parking lot is "T" shaped (pull into and out of driveway or turn left or right for more parking spots). I have a tree in front of my balcony so the only way the cop would see me if he was on the upper left side of the "T." The moment I saw him me and him locked eyes (he was about 40 feet away I would assume) and I bolted inside with everything. I did the usual cover up the smell and etc in the house and on myself (drops,etc.) The cop car didn't leave for another hour but nothing happened.

My question is, since it's my property but I am outdoors on my balcony, am I breaking any laws or causing any trouble?

Note: I do have a mortgage on the home if that matters.
Note: I don't have anything on my record besides two traffic tickets and I will be attending college in the fall if that matters(parents home but both we're at work).

Read more: What happens if a cop pulls into my driveway when smoking weed on the balcony?