Thursday, October 23, 2014

What happens when one of an estranged couple passes away before divorce is filed?

My husband and I separated early this year (no kids) and separated out all our finances then. The only thing left in both names is the mortgage, but he signed a quit claim eight months ago (that was filed with the county then). He passed away earlier this month, and I'm unsure what my liability with his "estate" will be. He had at least $25k in credit card debt (only in his name), medical bills, and now final expenses that I'm assuming his family paid since they didn't even call me to tell me it happened for almost a week. He lost his job after his health issue came up (semi-voluntarily, he wouldn't go back though doctors said he technically could) and the only insurance he had (life or health) was through work and he had no other assets… So basically all that debt is now bad.

Is it true that so long as my name wasn't on any of his things that none of his debtors will attempt to come after me for payment? I fought hard to keep an excellent credit rating through the separation and I'd hate to end up in bankruptcy on top of everything else now. His family mentioned something about dealing with "all the rest" later, but what is there for me to deal with? Our finances and lives have been separated for almost a year!

Read more: What happens when one of an estranged couple passes away before divorce is filed?