Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Will it cause any major issues if I shorted my mortgage company a little bit of money on a payment?

I still write checks for my bills, & today I noticed that my bank account had a little more money than it should have. When I went online to investigate, it turns out that I made an error on my mortgage payment this month-I put the correct amount, $1123 in the little box, but then on the line where you actually write everything out, I mistakenly wrote 'One thousand twenty-three…'. So I guess they cashed it for the $1023 instead of the $1123. Am I going to get into any sort of serious trouble for this? Should I just write to them & send a check for the $100? Or will it be safe to just wait til next month & send the $100 along with that month's payment?

Read more: Will it cause any major issues if I shorted my mortgage company a little bit of money on a payment?