Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Informal loan- rights to reclaim with no contract?

I gave a loan of about £100,000 to my parents to pay off their mortgage (compensation money I received from an accident- I'm not rich!). We agreed verbally that if they were to sell the family home, I would get back the £100,000 and my parents would split the remaining proceeds after this from the house sale.

My parents have since then separated, my mother is still on board with the agreement (she could prove this verbally in court if need be?). My father on the other hand, is a spiteful and deceitful man. He is threatening to sell and keep all of the proceeds.

I have proof of the bank transfer which paid off the mortgage, and my mothers word. Would this stand in a civil court to recoup the loan?

It's a very sad and unfortunate situation to be in, and I would be grateful to get any feedback.

Thanks

Read more: Informal loan- rights to reclaim with no contract?