Friday, July 24, 2015

Can I terminate my rental lease early without repercussions?


I am 6 months into the second year at my residence. I signed a 1 year lease then renewed for this year. However, I want to move for various reasons and have the opportunity to buy a house but it needs to be soon. I still have 6 months on my renewed lease and cannot afford both rent and a mortgage.
The original lease stated this:

"RENEWAL: This lease will continue for one year after the Initial Lease Term unless either you or we give the other at least 30 days’ written notice of termination before the end of the initial term. During the continuation term, either you or we may terminate the lease at the end of a calendar month by giving the other not less than 60 days written notice. We may increase the rent at the end of the initial term or during the continuation term by giving you not less than 60 days’ notice before the beginning of a calendar month."

Does this mean that I can terminate my renewed lease early with 60 days' notice to the rental management company, or will I still be responsible for all the rent until the end of the renewal lease if I terminate early?

Read more: Can I terminate my rental lease early without repercussions?