Sunday, August 9, 2015

Should I buy a condo when I graduate college?


I will be entering my final year in college. Ever since I've been 15 I've been working at part time jobs and now that I'm in college I still work. My parents helped me invest nearly all my earnings in mutual funds and stocks and they had a 529 savings plan for me as well. But since I got a full scholarship I didn't need any of the money they saved up and I didn't use any of the money I saved and invested on my own either. My parents said they will give me the entire balance of my 529 savings plan and I also have almost that money I've been saving since I was 15 so if I take out a mortgage I will have about enough to make a deposit for a mortgage of about $230,000 when I graduate college. Now I have plans to going to grad school when I'm in my mid to late twenties so I don't really want to buy a house for such a short time but I also don't want to rent an apartment because I think renting is a waste of time because if you buy something it builds up equity and can be sold later for a profit. So I was thinking of buying a condo and working on paying that mortgage and then hopefully selling it for a profit so I will have money when I go to grad school. Do you think I should buy a condo or just rent an apartment? Thanks!

Read more: Should I buy a condo when I graduate college?