Saturday, October 10, 2015

How to rent/buy a retirement property when you're in your 20s?


Yes, I know this sounds like an impossible idea. Another asker on here had a similar question, and according to the person who won best answer, "nowadays young people can rent retirement houses", so if that is wrong, I got that info from someone else on here, so be kind!

Anyway, because houses are ridiculously expensive and I am a young, single person on a low wage job (that will eventually turn into a higher paid job once I graduate and work my way up. I don't plan/want to switch careers) I've been trying to find an alternative option. Options I've crossed off the list are:

Renting (costs more than I earn per month)
House share (honestly, I'd rather stay at home!)
Buying a regular house/flat (I don't earn enough to get a mortgage)
Benefits (I don't qualify)
Renting a room (Again, if this is my only option, I'll just stay at home)
Residential caravan site (there are none in my area)
Council housing (still technically an option, but I don't like my chances because I'm not homeless, disabled, pregnant etc. And the waiting lists can be ridiculous)

Sorry for the long list, but when I've asked various rent/buy questions before, people have given these as options, thinking I haven't already looked into them. I have.

Back to the retirement property idea. As I said, it sounds impossible - I stumbled upon the idea while researching something else. If it is possible to rent a retirement property, how would one go about it? Should I simply contact the estate agent via Zoopla?

Read more: How to rent/buy a retirement property when you're in your 20s?