Sunday, January 17, 2016

I'm 16 and want to sell a house and buy a new one- is this possible?


I'm 16 and want to sell the house that was left to my younger sister and I after our mother passed away. The reason we want to move is because we are very unhappy at home. We cannot sleep upstairs as we have bad memories in our house and have nightmares, so we have been sleeping on the sofa for a while now. We are desperate to move and I was wondering if there was any way for me to sell the house and buy a new one mortgage-free. We are unhappy and I was considering emancipation from my maternal grandfather who is now our legal guardian but I turn 18 next April so I didn't think that there was any point in pursuing it- and I wouldn't do this unless I could get custody of my younger sister.

I just want to know if there is a way that I can sell the house and buy a new one before I turn eighteen without getting emancipated. If getting emancipated and gaining custody of my eleven year old sister is an option I would do this but I am not sure if it is possible.
Added (1). I live in the UK so I don't know how different the laws are. There are multiple reasons for selling, such as there being too much space for three people. I have reasons for wanting to become emancipated, too. I feel like my grandfather's health problems and alcohol issues will impact his ability to be responsible for two children. I am also hoping to start a paid apprenticeship which will allow me to support myself financially.

Read more: I'm 16 and want to sell a house and buy a new one- is this possible?