Saturday, January 30, 2016

Is it illegal to work for my family business for free?


My family owns a small business and we dont make a lot. So I do not get paid anything at all. Basically there would be no point in paying me anything because, with what the business makes, after paying for mortgages and bills there's basically nothing left extra to spend.

So what I'm saying is I'm pretty much working to have a roof over my head and 3 meals a day. And the meals arnt great either. We get free potatoes from a relative. And basically only buy chicken and rice only. And only the cheapest vegatables sometimes. Basically I eat chicken and potatoes everyday. Pack of chicken $10 or less a week for 3 people. And a 50 pound bag of rice for $20 that last probably 2 months. I never eat out and I mean NEVER because we simply just don't have the money. You might think that's stupid but what we believe is that one day when our business becomes more known and makes more and the mortgages get easier to pay or paid off we'll have a better life. So times are hard now but we know it's only for a few years.

Question is am I suppose to report anything to the government for working there even though I don't get paid?

Read more: Is it illegal to work for my family business for free?