Sunday, February 21, 2016

I know what God is calling me for, but I don't want to do it. I've been running from it for years?


I believe that god wants me to start up a homeless shelter in LA. That's not something I'd ever even consider doing. I don't even LIVE in LA! Id have to go to seminary first and take counseling classes. Preferably AoG.
The future of Christianity is in the global south, westerners have by in large abandoned religion. If I were to be a pastor Id' have to work with the poor and marginalized, 24/7. I could never have a normal life: no wife, no kids, no mortgage. Id have to be completely dedicated to my mission, my calling. Because Id never make enough money to support a family.
I've seen how shelters run, briefly. I went to one in Chicago on a mission trip when I was 16 with our youth group. I was so stunned by how everyday they were doing the lords work there. It was so moving! I knew that that's what I wanted to do.
I don't view parish pastorship as my vocation, I don't relish a career of telling mean-spirited or self righteous high school youth groups to be abstinent. Besides that I'm terrible with names! I COULD do it, of course. But I view a life of asceticism, and mission to the poor as my vocation.
Thing is, I Really don't want to do this. That's why I've been on the fence about God and seminary my whole college career. Because, if I was a reverent believer, then I'd see this as the only path opened to me. I'd be pigeon holed into it.
Thoughts?
Added (1). I view asceticism as a more spiritual path… IDK
Added (2). Sorry, I don't think I was clear on this instance. I want to do it, because I believe that is what my path is. But I'm slightly frightened by it, and my initial reaction is RUN AWAY! Its a bit like asking out a girl, your scared at first, but afterwards you're really glad that your did.

Read more: I know what God is calling me for, but I don't want to do it. I've been running from it for years?