Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Is this a viable way to reduce capital gains tax?


I own a home without a mortgage, paid a modest price for it but it's paid for now. I've owned it for the life of the mortgage, 15 year, but has been a rental since paying it off, for the past three years now. From what I read, capital gains tax depends on how long you've had the home and how much of a profit you make selling it (minus allowable losses by the IRS). So if I sell the home for close to what I paid for it, wouldn't I avoid paying a hefty capital gains tax?

Unless I really want to sell it for a much higher price than what I paid to try and make as much money out of it but doesn't make sense if I have to pay a lot of taxes on the profit, right?

Read more: Is this a viable way to reduce capital gains tax?