Monday, March 14, 2016

If I become a co-borrower/co-signer of a mortgage can I easily switch it someone else?


My mom asked me to be the co-signer for a mortgage. (She doesn't want my money) Assuring me that she will switch my name to my dad's in March. Butt I remember in school we learned you had to refinance it or something? So I don't know if it's as simple as signing a few papers.

A little bit on our financial/living situation:

-My dad has filed bankruptcy. In March 2017 it will be 7 years and it will be off his record.

-My mom has a lot of debt so she alone cannot sign for a mortgage

-I am 21 years of age, I make $3000 at a job I was recently hired in (I am now permanent). I am getting my first credit card this Monday.

-They would like to buy a home before March 2017 as the current place we are living in the city will be bulldozing for new apartments, and we are not being financially compensated unfortunately.

I would like to buy a car/house of my own in a few years and start renting next year. Will being a co-signer for a few months affect this? My mom said there will be no record of me being a co-signer, so I am not to worry that once my dad's name is on record in place of mine it's fine. I feel like this could ruin my credit. Unlike my parents I would like to be debt free (I've paid off my student loans) but they said I am being naive and that a co-signer will make my credit look great. I don't want to upset anyone and I respect my parents. They have always looked out for me and now I'm the one with the clean slate. But I do not want to regret this.

Read more: If I become a co-borrower/co-signer of a mortgage can I easily switch it someone else?