Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Should I buy a house with a shared access driveway?


I'm currently in the process of buying a 8 year old house and recently had my mortgage offer accepted.

However during my suveyor visit he highlighted his main area for concern was the shared access driveway (which I would own).

To paint a picture, it's an end of terraced 2 bed of a row of 5 houses of which beside my house is a shared access road on which I will park on (via a small lay-by) while the other house owners use it to park behind the houses in their appropriate parking space.

My suveyor outlined that there should be a management company set up for this shared access driveway in case of needed future maintenance and repairs.

According to the current owner he is not aware of anything in place for this.

Therefore, it's to my knowledge that I would have to pay the cost of the repairs if, for example, the shared access driveway needed repairing in 5-10 years time.

I'm after advice on whether I should be concerned about this enough to pull out of the purchase as I feel it may hinder my chances of selling on when I come to move in the future.

Would I need to take out any insurances for the driveway to cover personal injury etc?

If you were in this situation what would you do?

Many thanks,

Read more: Should I buy a house with a shared access driveway?