Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Can estate agents offer a flat for rent and take deposit when flat isn't available?


i put a £500 holding deposit on a flat being told the owner is moving out as he can't pay his mortgage. The agents lied to me and delayed a moving in date using every excuse they could think of but nevrer telling me the real reason. 6 weeks passed and because of my heavy complaining higher up the chain i eventually got my deposit back. They finally admitted that the flat is not available as the owner is not moving out?!
can i claim for false advertising, having to pay storage instead of being able to move directly into this flat as told. Extra charge for loss of earnings and stress. In fact everything i can get?
i was treated really badly at the agents shop, threatened with calling the police if i continued to ask questions etc.
on my deposit receipt i had a 'preferred moving in date ' i am disputing the fact that the flat was not actually available and they took my money on false pretences.

Read more: Can estate agents offer a flat for rent and take deposit when flat isn't available?