Monday, May 8, 2017

How do you actually profit from renting out real estate?

I've been researching how to make money through buying and then renting out real estate but the figures aren't adding up to me. For example, lets say you start out buying a house for $130,000 and the monthly mortgage is $600. You would obviously have to charge more than the 600 to make a profit, and for a property of that value, you wouldn't really be able to charge more than lets say $1000. So that's a $400 profit for you. Okay. That's not a lot of money at all. So you would have to buy another property and do it again, so that's another what, $500. So you'd own 2 properties and only earn around $1100 from them per month.

You would basically have to buy like 3 properties just to earn above $2,000.

What am I missing here? The only way to earn a major profit is if you bought a property outright and paid it off completely, then keep every dollar of rent. But even then you'd probably still have to buy 2 properties. I'm confused because this seems impossible for any random person to get into the real estate game if you need to take out loans for multiple properties. I mean who has that kind of capital unless you already come from money? Can someone explain how this works or if I'm missing something? I mean yeah you could have a part time job and just use the real estate profit as extra income but I was trying to see how this could be a full time job not just extra cash.

Read more: How do you actually profit from renting out real estate?