Sunday, June 11, 2017

My credit score isn't going anywhere - got any advice?

I had a Chapter 7 bankruptcy discharged 3 years ago. A lot of it was medical/dental bills. I had excellent credit for well over a decade before that. Within about a month after the discharge, I was able to get a credit card to start rebuilding. My FICO had dropped to like 560 or something like that right after the discharge. Months later, I got a second one. For about 3 years, I have paid both of them faithfully, used them reasonably and have never been late. They have raised the credit limit on both of them over the time. I have a Capital One Quicksilver Mastercard with a $3,500 limit and Barclaycard Mastercard with a $3,200 limit. My credit score has gone up, but hovers around 609-650, depending on which one they pull.

I wanted to get a third card "better" (better interest rate, etc.) card and either sock drawer one of the others or just cancel it. A third card declines. The reasons?

"Your credit report reflects a bankruptcy" Well, duh. Is that the end of the world? 3 years ago?

"Lack of recent installment loan information"

"Too FEW accounts currently paid as agreed"

Well, I can't seem to get a third one for some reason. I don't have a mortgage. I don't have a car payment. Just a cell phone plan, which I'd imagine only reports if I didn't pay it. I don't want to take out any loans from a bank. The score isn't increasing (it actually DROPPED by 6 points over the past month) after 3 years of good payments.

Read more: My credit score isn't going anywhere - got any advice?