Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Am I responsible for this bill? It was not covered in my mortgage contract

In 2015, I bought a house in Ottawa, ON. We of course took over the utilities but unknown to us, the water tank was a rental through Reliance. The previous owner paid them directly, not through any utility bill. This was not mentioned on any of the paperwork we signed at closing.

About 10 months later, I contacted Reliance for an unrelated air conditioner issue and the repairman mentioned the tank was probably a rental. I called Reliance to verify and take over any account but there was no current account to take over. I'm presuming they had closed the account at this point due to non-payment but they didn't verify (privacy).

I advised the law office we used to close and they did not have a specific direction considering there was no current account.

Well, the previous owner is now aware of this and they are coming after us for $1400 in fees for not taking over the account.

We're trying to figure out if we're actually liable for this. Thoughts?

Read more: Am I responsible for this bill? It was not covered in my mortgage contract